Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Famous

My wit has just been featured on the national wireless.

I'm listening to Janice Long on R2 and she mentioned an email from some woman in Croatia who thought that Morrissey ought to represent the UK at Eurovision. Oh yeah, right. She probably was being serious, too.

Janice then asks what on earth he could sing. With amazing alacrity I shot off an email during "Pause for Thought" and she's just read it out:

"Richard in Crewe suggests Morrissey should sing 'Boom Bang a Bang, My Girlfriend was the First to Die.' Ooh...Dark."

Did you see what I did there? Gosh, I'm sharp.






(You will of course be able to listen to my moment of glory on the "Listen Again" feature on the R2 website. It'll be about halfway through, around 1.30am)

14 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Sharon J said...

I don't get it

12:56 am  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Sharon - Radio 2, obscure national radio station in the UK.

8:11 am  
Blogger Richard said...

While you were in Norway, the Smiths were very popular over here among morose students. It's surprising, given that Norway has one of, if not the, highest suicide rates in the world, that they were never more popular over there.

9:19 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I know someone famous. I think.

2:40 pm  
Blogger krusty the baker said...

Yeah, it's a great buzz isn't it - R4 had my letter to 'PM' recently, and I had a real high from it, especially when I found that friends had heard it. Great stuff, good gag too.

7:01 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Award that man a gladioli ( or was it a daffodil?) immediately!

7:16 pm  
Blogger krusty the baker said...

Yeah, it's a great buzz isn't it - R4 had my letter to 'PM' recently, and I had a real high from it, especially when I found that friends had heard it. Great stuff, good gag too.

9:02 pm  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Nothing to do with your post, but I'm thinking non-one roars (in an Irish blues kind of way) quite like Rory Gallagher.

That's a compliment. I'm including Van Morrison in this assessment.

3:28 pm  
Blogger Geoff said...

Janice wouldn't have read it out if it was taking the piss out of Ian McCulloch. She LOVES Ian McCulloch.

6:34 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

But I couldn't have done a joke about him though, Geoff.

10:49 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Your wireless adventures are so much better than mine - I was accused on an ultra-conservative talk radio show once of being in the employ of a congressman while merely posing as a journalist. Bastard got me confused with someone else, but it made it up and down the southern Atlantic seaboard before the stupid (fill in your blank) got on the air a day later and half-fast apologized.

And people wonder why I prefer Cuban shortwave propaganda and island music late at night . . . .

2:56 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Oh, I think I would have sued big-time and sod the apology. You would have got column inches out of it as well.

9:01 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

The only time I ever got on the radio, I won a year's gym membership. All I had to do was come up with the best reason.

" I've got the fattest arse in Hull" has followed me around for years.

7:55 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Think I'd rather trade places with Cherry Pie when it comes to reasons for being on the radio.

2:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home