Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Truth

A notebook of formulae thought to contain the original recipe for Dr. Pepper, the well known soft "drink" of United of States origin has been unearthed in Waco, Texas. Where else.

I have only ever drunk this stuff twice in my whole life. The first in 1980 from McDonalds in The Strand following a visit to the National Gallery while at art college. I thought there'd been some kind of mistake with the pipes. The second time was a couple of years ago. One sip was enough to convince me that I had been wrong in my initial assumption. It must be one of the vilest concoctions foist upon mankind.

An examination of the original recite is quite illuminating. There was a note attached:

"Doc, Billy's horse had an accident at the store but I think we've got something. I've been using this on my beans and they've really come on"

Ingredients:

Cabbage water - 50 gals
Mud - 5lbs
Old saddle. Must be at least 2 years old and well used
Molasses - 30lb
1 turnip.

Method:

Allow saddle to seep in cabbage water for one month. Remove. Add mud, molasses and turnip. Boil. Allow to cool. Strain. Serve. Use woman's side saddle for less potent version. (I think this is now the diet option).

6 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Dave said...

I don't think I've ever drunk this. Nor dandelion and burdock. Nor, come to think of it, IrnBru.

What a sheltered life I've lived.

8:12 pm  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Thank you for continuing to pursue vital issues.

3:11 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

I don't believe there's anything else of equal import happening elsewhere on the planet. England appear to be winning a test match quite convicingly.

3:22 pm  
Anonymous Rae said...

Ahem - there is something of equal if not greater import - I am led to believe that this weekend Norwich (the football club of Delia's choice) have fallen off a premiere something or other... sorry for not giving better details but I am female and their colours are green & yellow - should they have chosen pink or a nice shade of mauve I am sure my information would have been much more comprehensive

PS - I think you have the correct recipe for Dr P - tis vile stuff

6:38 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Rae, they fell of a Championship. It's all very complicated but effectively they've just finished bottom of division 2, which is called The Championship (The First Division is now called the Premier League) so next year they will be playing in the third division, which is now called League One. Did you understand that? Additionally, their colours are yellow and green, not green and yellow, curiously adopted AFTER their nickname, which is the Canaries. When they first became known as the Canaries, they played in blue and pink, I think. Less logical but considerably more gay.

10:22 am  
Blogger FeltByRae said...

I wish they were still blue and pink... much more 'me' - I might even be able to understand it all then!

Where does the Milk Cup come in to it all these days? I think they won that once didn't they?

5:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home