Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Not a petty offence!

There's been a news story doing the rounds today in the West Midlands area about a driver who's been fined for leaving his fog lamps on in clear weather. The driver, 61 year-old Roger Smith has been accusing West Mercia Police of being over-zealous. Congratulations to the police for actually doing their job and protecting other road users from dangerous drivers. He reckoned he should have just got a talking to and a caution. NO WAY!!

Why? Fine the miserable old bugger double and ban him for a year. I'm fed up with being blinded by fogs carelessly left on at night or in rain and that's what the fine is all about, protecting me. Back there though is the operative word - you're not being absent-minded or a bit daft, you're being bloody careless. If you're so senile you don't realise what those symbols are all lit up on your dashboard, you shouldn't be on the road. If you haven't noticed the symbols you've probably not even checked your dash so you could be speeding; driving with your parking brake part locked on; overheating - anything. It's not funny! If he'd blinded somebody in rain and caused an accident he wouldn't have a case to answer so why rattle on about it as if he's being hard-done by? I reckon he's only whingeing because he's had a clean licence for over 40 years, not because he got caught breaking a law designed to preserve the safety of other road users.

I got caught speeding for the first time last year; I broke the law and got points on a 20 year old licence for the first time, end of story. I've become a better driver for it, though; much more aware of my surroundings than I used to be so it follows my fellow road users are safer, so thanks.

2 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean about drivers leaving their lights on. I wrote a column about the new bright lights they have on newer vehicles but I can't seem to remember where I put it on my website (www.pamela-troeppl.com) It should be in my archives but perhaps my webmistress removed it.

Love your stuff!

1:43 am  
Blogger Sharon J said...

I agree, although while the powers that be are busy making laws that protect us, they also make a few that I've found hard to get my head around. What was it that sargeant said? 100 yard clearance either way before pulling onto a carriageway? Get real! ~Sharon

3:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home