Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sleepy

Back here I mentioned we went and saw Paul O'Grady's chat show being broadcast on Wednesday evening. One of the guests was Stuart Cox, a lad from Centrepoint the homeless charity in London. There was no particular reason it seemed, he was just another guest, somebody the charity had helped. In fact, no mention was made of Centrepoint until Roger Moore said that his daughter worked for another homeless charity in Victoria.

I found out today that Paul O'Grady took part in the Centrepoint "sleep-out" that same evening. I can only assume that Paul made the decision after the show as surely he would have publicised it during the broadcast. After all, he would have done it to bring attention to the charity, if it had been pre-planned then I'm sure a mention would have been warranted during the interview. I don't think he actually spent the night in a sleeping bag, for somebody who's just endured some well publicised health problems that may well have not been too wise; rather he went along as a morale booster for the other participants.

Celebrities doing something worthy on the spur of the moment is something I like a lot. The cameras don't follow Paul O'Grady around because he doesn't court celebrity for his own ends. But he's still a household name with presumably the busy schedule to go with that and his presence there unannounced would have meant a lot. He's OK with me.

5 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Rog said...

Genuine Bloke agreed.

If O'Grady told me to do something, I'd do it.

1:41 pm  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

Urban camping is fun if you don't have to do it for your living. I am afraid I don't know this O'Grady chap but if you like him I will look him up.

2:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jed, he came to popular prominence in the late 80s early 90s as a caustic Liverpudlian peroxide drag queen called Lily Savage. He's since ditched the frocks and wig and now hosts a daily chatshow that seems to have garnered a certain degree of respect.

2:10 am  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

Thanks Richard I saw he was a talk show host there from google but I did not get the history.

11:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's also worth mentioning that when he first arrived in London as a young man he had nothing but a fiver in his pocket and no idea how he was going to make a living so could easily have become one of the homeless himless. As he said on his show: "The but for the grace of God, go I". I've a feeling he does more for the homeless than is generally known.

4:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home