Sunday, March 22, 2009

Strike me down.

At the risk of invoking the wrath of those who find difficulty in eating off china with cutlery, can somebody please explain the Jade thing to me because I am having a great deal of trouble understanding it.

Death is sad. I went to a funeral this week and it was sad. Even though I never really knew Sharon's dad that well and despite him being far from perfect as a person, I fought hard to stop my chin wobbling when they played "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" as his coffin disappeared. Jade's death is sad, she was young and had small children. But that is the end of it. I do not understand the nature of her singular fame; how somebody can in turn be demonised for her ignorant racism and then lauded as if she were a saint by doing nothing other than acting heroically stupidly. I don't understand how Max Clifford can refer to her as being dignified when there is nothing remotely dignified in having the nation's media slavering and drooling over your last few weeks on earth, supposedly being sympathetic when all they are really doing is making money out of her. I don't understand the bishop who blessed her wedding calling her a saint and a princess. I don't get how she was "doing it for the kids" when the kids are now going to have a hard job growing up realising exactly why their mother was famous (for acting like a slapper on a "reality" programme. Lest we forget, she had no discernible talent) alongside the pressure of the redtops wanting to know how they're spending their inheritence. If she really valued their future wellbeing she would have gone quietly without fuss. She'd made enough already. I really cannot understand a world where absolutely everything has a price, even extreme suffering. To invoke the dire old cliché, what a terrible indictment of the society we live in etc...etc...If you want to see celebrity dignity, look at the odd few pictures available of Liam Neeson and his family's totally uncontrived grief following the tragic accidental death of his beautiful and genuinely talented wife this week. Better still, don't. You are the kind of perv who slows down driving past accidents.

Moreover, I just don't understand how it's taken the sad plight of this completely worthless nonentity to raise the public awareness of one the most pernicious diseases known. If the value to yourself of your own health and wellbeing is so minimal that it has taken the death of a Bermondsey gobshite for you to get your act together then please do not ever again accuse the government of nannying the populace or the health service of being incompetent. If you've not been bothered, why should they? Granted cervical cancer screening should be made available to younger women and people have been lobbying for this years - I can remember a friend of my ex-wife's coming to our wedding in '85 and being dead within a year when she was only 22, from the same disease - but sit in any doctor's surgery and there are plenty of advertisements for screening programmes and well-women clinics. Well, there always have been in the surgery waiting rooms I've been in.

If you have been offended by any of the views expressed in this piece you can wreak your revenge by clicking on the the advertisements on the right. Every time you do this a powerful electric shock is delivered to my underpants causing me unimginable pain. Do it, you know it makes cents.

8 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Dave said...

Whilst I totally agree with you (as usual) I am nevertheless going to click on the link anyway.

By the way, I believe he was a so-called bishop, from some kind of made-up church.

4:52 pm  
Blogger FeltByRae said...

A very distressing read, have you no feelings? How could you blatantly encourage people to wilfully electrocute your poor underpants. I know you say it causes you pain, but they are the ones really hurting. I am ashamed of you. Tsk. Rx

5:40 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Hear Hear!

8:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most Doctors won't do cervical cancer screening unless you are a certain age because it is too expensive, not because we can't be bothered!

11:12 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Dave, I believe he was.
Rae, not very many which is why I require the stimulation.
Delcatto your thoughtful comment has denied me the pleasure of writing "Where, where?"

Anon. You appear to have missed my point but your knee-jerk reaction has allowed me the opportunity to clarify my point. The official screening programme in England starts at a later age than anywhere else in the kingdom, that is why, not the cost. If you will consider this for a moment: this may be a surprise to you but there are more or less the same number of mature women alive at any given time. There is, as far as I know, no epidemic currently wiping out women between the ages of 18 and 25 in such numbers that starting screening at 22 would be any more expensive than it is at present. Moreover, it is not only younger women who are now besieging surgeries and health centres because of Jade but also women who have either been lazy, nervous or of the opinion that it couldn't possibly happen to them. The result of Jade's sad plight is that an already strained system is now going to be overwhelmed because a vast amount of women, until now, really couldn't be bovvered. A legacy to be proud of I'm sure.

11:05 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I only have one thing to say. Thank your lucky stars you don't have to have your legs in stirrups and a metal mickey shoved up your best asset. Thats why a lot of women don't go. There is a good arguement for screening to start a lot younger. As for Jade, didn't like her much but then there are a lot of 'celebs' who are famous for nothing. She made the most of an opportunity. Anyone would do the same.
Sorry that was 2 things.........

12:01 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Carol, I covered that in my comment above but remember: men=prostate. Fingers, latex, ky and the reason I could never possibly enjoy Greek love.

4:17 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I though that was supposed to be quite pleasurable!! Not having one I will never know!! LOL

10:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home