Saturday, April 15, 2006

Head

We went out yesterday evening to the Shroppie Fly in Audlem to see Jim K play an acoustic set alongside Nigel Stonier. It was very good and I have tried to reassure Jim that although I have seen him now three times wihin the last two weeks, I am not stalking him. Unfortunately I drank beer again and as a consequence I now have eels swimming in my head; very large eels playing catch with anvils and as eels don't have hands and are very slippy, they keep dropping the anvils.

It has taken me the best part of 30 years of exhaustive research to come to the conclusion that while I very much like beer, beer does not like me at all with often tiny amounts giving me headaches of quite ferocious intensity. It is different now; at one stage in the early 80s two pints would be enough to have me heaving over the sink although this may have had something to do with our local at the time only serving Whitbread Trophy ("The pint that thinks it's a quart").

I want to go back to bed.

7 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger The Aunt said...

What you want to do, is have shandy made with lite lemonade instead. Mmmm. Manly.

11:17 am  
Blogger Richard said...

There is nothing to be ashamed of with shandy. It's a choice drink, especially after a strenuous day spent patrolling the boundary rope on a hot July afternoon. However I would counsel against the use of anything but full-bloodied "heavy" lemonade as the sugar replacements in the inferior recites are wont to cause a certain amount of emotional instability.

12:07 pm  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

I find the unfiltered wheat beer to have less of the eel and anvil effect.

Good to see you are having a good time.

1:13 am  
Blogger Sharon J said...

There's nowt wrong with a bitter shandy! Mind you, I was surprised at how sober you were after four pints of best bitter the other night. Four for the floor obviously doesn't apply to you.

12:11 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

She means fourteen pints, obviously.

1:03 pm  
Blogger krusty the baker said...

Richard, I came across your comment on my view of TOTP. So I came here for a look. I'm no fan of football, but YOU KNOW WHO RORY GALLAGHER WAS!!!!! I too enjoy a shandy at the pub, but that is because having worked as a cellarman for nearly 3 years I'm a pain in the arse about beer. Agree, don't do lemonade-lite, because it is shite. I am aware of Whitbread Trophy, but when they were still a brewer, Whitbread fucked over my beloved Flowers Original, much as Interbrew have fucked over my beloved Brew XI. The problem with shandy in London is that because the barstaff are always 'gap year' kids they don't know what they're doing, and insist on putting the beer in before the lemonade. It's like the magic porridge pot.

I get eel and anvil too, although it's often associated with port. One glass is never enough.

9:53 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Krusty, welcome. Always good to see another Roryfan about these walls.

I hate to say it but the best pint I ever had was in a now long gone Whitbread pub called The Trumpeter in Ashford, around 25 years ago. The pub was a real proper local with curling lino death trap stairs and "bar snacks" but their beer was unsurpassable. Got a feeling that it was back in the days of Whitbread Fremlins. I do have a beard.

10:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home