Saturday, July 29, 2006

They don't make 'em like this anymore

As there seems to be a rash of this going on at the moment I thought I'd add my two penn'orth. Look around these pages and it's pretty obvious I don't think it gets much better than this.




The reason Rory Gallagher is by turns spoken of in terms of hushed reverence or sadly not even known of is because he never glorified drugs; never caused a drive-by shooting; never spawned a clothing fashion any more offensive than a plaid shirt and plimsols; never attacked anyone at an airport and I only once ever heard him swear (and even that was debatable). He gave out nothing more or less than pure enjoyment. You didn't go to a Rory show to make a political statement or to navel gaze; you went to tap your feet and clap your hands. And anyone who thinks he was Liam and Noel's dad deserves a contemptuous slap.

12 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Oh Richard. I was all set to agree wholeheartedly with you, but I find myself at odds again.

You see, I thought the only reason Rory's name is spoken of in hushed tones is that he was a phenomenal guitarist and singer.

(I suspect we DO have some common ground here. Fancy a pint?)

1:20 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Yeah, that as well.

OK,your round is it? London Pride plz.

2:18 pm  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

Goodness gracious! He rocks! Thanks for the song. That is much more than goat fodder that is human soul food.

4:09 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Richard,

You wrote a post a while back about Rory, and I'd been trolling for video of him today. And then I come over here and find you's written about him again.

Fear not - he's the featured artist at "Dance Party" next Friday. And yeah, he was worth the hunt.

12:54 am  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

London Pride? I thought you lived in the frozen north somewhere...

8:51 am  
Blogger tom909 said...

Thanks Richard, enjoyed that!

9:00 am  
Blogger Richard said...

But I'm from Kent Mark and you try getting Shepherd Neame on draught up here. Quite a few places do LP though. Anyway, I'm only J16 on the M6, it's not that far!

9:01 am  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

So if he wasn't Noel & Liam's Dad, was he Frank's brother?

( I do of course know that's not true. He was the guitar genius that now does the mobile phone adverts):)

7:06 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Now you've got me. I get the Frank thing but...mobiles?

8:04 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Ed Byrne, an irish stand-up comedian. He did some mobile phone adverts. He has very long hair.

A joke's no good if you have to explain it. I'll get my coat. x

7:06 pm  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

I'm sure I'd be laughing if I knew who Ed Byrne was.

9:16 am  
Blogger Sharon J said...

Ed Byrne rocks!

Don't know about the mobile phones, though.

11:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home